is traceable back to 1827 when George Ballantine
opened a grocery store in Edinburgh to supply whisky to his
eldest son Archibald took over the shop in 1865, whilst
George decided to open a second and larger store in Glasgow.
George's second son, George (junior) took over the business
business was sold to Barclay & Mckinlay in 1919 who decided
to focus on Ballantine's as a brand name for their blended
Walker purchased Ballantine's in 1937 and in order to
sustain supplies they also acquired MiltonDuff & Glenburgie
distilleries, along with founding the Dumbarton grain distillery
which was eventually mothballed in 2002.
Ricard (the current owners) purchased Ballantine's in 2005.